Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

My husband tells me I'm dangerous...

I can't figure this out, but in the last few months, my car has transformed into an undiscriminating death-mobile. Watch out, neighborhood animal friends.

Yesterday I killed a deer on the way to work. This was very similar to the recent turkey scenario: it came out of NOWHERE and ran right into my car. This is the second deer I have hit this spring. It seems like this almost always happens when I am stressed, and all deaths seem to inevitably occur within three miles of my house.

My amazing husband recently combined our car insurance policies, and apparently our policy covers the cost of a rental car until the bodywork on my car is finished. So now, oddly, I am renting a Prius for free, for at least the next week or so. I had never been in a Prius (or any hybrid) before, and it's an interesting experience. I like the great gas mileage, but I miss the turbo engine in my car. However, it's probably not a bad idea to drive for a while without turbo and spare the surrounding wildlife.

Meanwhile, hopefully the cost of fixing my car will not be incredibly, incredibly scary. I received a letter of acceptance from a post-bac premed program in upstate NY. This was accompanied by the "please mail us your deposit within six days if you would like to attend our program" form. I can't believe they only gave me six days to decide if I want to go or not. As much as I would love the brevity, camaraderie, and advising and networking opportunities in this particular post-bac program, I have no idea how I would afford it.

All the other financial aid offers have come in, and I am more confused than ever. I just got my offer from top-choice state school, and the entire cost of tuition has been covered by grants. I was really amazed by this. The federal loans that I was offered might even be substantial enough to cover cost of living and allow me to not work. However, this particular program is a bioengineering program, barely any of my credits will transfer, and it will take 3-4 years to complete. It seems so pathetic to spend this long completing undergraduate coursework as a means to ultimately do something else. Then again, it could be totally awesome.

I received so much encouragement regarding taking my premedical requirements part-time from the MiM posting. When I had visited nearby moderately-competitive medical school, I was told that taking these courses part-time would not be the ideal (and could affect my competitiveness as a candidate). I had repeated this to female professor and physician when visiting top-choice state school, and she was somewhat disbelieving. She actually went on to e-mail the head of admissions at nearby moderately-competitive medical school and ask her if this was really the case. The answer from admissions was: I would need to learn more about this student, but if she hasn't taken most of the prerequisites I can understand why someone would have told her this; it would only make sense. The thing is, it doesn't make sense to me. It doesn't make sense to work full-time, be a full-time student with a daily 2+ hour commute and take care of my family.

I think it might be time to do things my way and stop being so hung up on the advice I'm getting from admissions. I think that might mean full-time job, part-time cheap state school -OR- force my husband to get a job with better benefits, and do part-time job, full-time cheap state school.

No comments:

Post a Comment