Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Order of prereqs

I've finally come up with a plan for how to complete the rest of my premedical prerequisites. I'll be working overnights on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (12-hour shifts), and then going to class during the week. I had planned to arrange my courses like this:

This summer:
Chem I, Chem II

Fall:
Physics I
Bio I

Spring:
Physics II
Bio II

Next summer:
Orgo I, Orgo II

Then I started to wonder if maybe I should lump my chemistry closer to my organic chemistry, and if I should do physics or bio this summer. All these courses are available to take over the summer, which is awesome. Are there some courses that would be more valuable to have a fresh recollection of before the MCATs than others? Does it really matter that much? What would be optimal?

5 comments:

  1. Orgo's so different from gen chem that I don't think it matters at all. I took orgo 9 years after taking gen chem and it didn't matter AT ALL. I totally endorse taking Physics with bio as well. Neither ended up being as much work as the chems were for me and had I known that in advance, I could have taken them at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I agree with OMDG. :)

    I think it is a good idea to take orgo closer to the MCAT because so much of it is just plain memorizing. Your sched would be what I would do if I had to do it all over again.

    Sigh. There are a lot of things I wish I would have done differently in pre-med land. You seem to be on the right track. It's exciting isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback. It is SO nice to you guys as a resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh also, take a prep class for the MCAT. It improved my score by 10 points. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMDG - Ten points. That's crazy. Which prep class did you take?

    ReplyDelete