Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Overnights

I've been working a lot more than usual, lately, and posting...well, not so much. Most of this is just being busy and adjusting to the new schedule, but it seems like not as much cool stuff has happened lately. We have had a couple really interesting patients who did really self-destructive things to themselves (including a young student who drank half a bottle of liquor every day for years and now has acute necrotizing pancreatitis.) Yikes.

I started working overnights in the ICU a couple weeks ago, and have been moonlighting in cardiology to make some extra money before I start my class. The transition to overnights has been not horrible, but not great. I think the main thing is that I just don't sleep as much. The day after I work the overnight I'll take a 2-3 hour nap, and then I'll go to bed at night later. I haven't converted to this whole nocturnal schedule, and I don't really think I'll ever be able to do that (as helpful as it might be) for school and child reasons.

I'm trying to get things sorted out at home before I go into work from 7:00p.m. tonight until around 1:00p.m. tomorrow. Eighteen hours. I usually work twelve-hour shifts in the ICU, but I decided to pick up some hours in cardiology tomorrow morning. I think it will be okay because at least I'll have a change of pace when I switch departments around 7:00a.m.

The other problem is that since I don't sleep as much, I seem to eat ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT. Long-term, I don't think that's going to work out. Any ideas?

In general, though, I'm not as tired as I thought I would be. I've never understood this. It often seems like the less sleep I get, the more energy I have. It is bizarre: sometimes I feel really awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment