Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Did I make the wrong choice?

I just called the daycare center at the university where I'm taking classes in the fall. I learned I'm not eligible for their financial aid program because my husband and I make over $3500/year together. It's frustrating. I sometimes feel like some of these aid programs are practically an incentive to quit my job, because then if I did, I'd actually be poor enough (by their standards) to get assistance.

The cost of daycare plus the cost of gas to commute to school alone will eat all of my take home pay each month. I still haven't figured out how to pay tuition (or any other expenses like the utility bills, groceries, etc). After finally giving up on private loans (which were all variable interest rate and scary), I applied for a second credit card in an act of desperation. I can pay for tuition with a credit card, right? And after all of this, I still don't even know if I'll be able to get into the classes I needed to take because I'm non-matriculated.

I opted to take the "design my own post-bac program route" because I thought it was more direct and made more sense financially. But honestly, I don't even know how we'll pay the bills. The whole thing stresses me out so much I can't sleep.

Did I make the wrong choice? Last year I applied to the bioengineering program at the same school and was offered grants that covered the entire cost of tuition, plus ample money for cost of living in federal (not scary) loans. I would have had an advisor. I would have been able to get into classes. I would have been able to take voice lessons and get involved with research. It would have taken four years instead of two, but now I'm not even sure if I'll be able to figure out how to take classes this year. I would so much rather spend some extra time in school and be intellectually engaged then spend some extra time waiting to take classes and pulling my hair out.

Is it completely insane to call the director of the program (I met with her last spring) and tell her I changed my mind? Do you think they would actually let me back in?

4 comments:

  1. Call her. What's the worst that can happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called. Everything is all filled up. She suggested reapplying in the fall. Pass the Ativan, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, then I guess you have a choice to make. You're going to be fine! No ativan needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are there any academic advisors available? They're usually the best to get around the system, especially when it comes to grants and bursaries... If there is one, you should schedule a meeting at your academic success centre to discuss your options.

    ReplyDelete