Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Greetings from Grumpyland

I am getting really, really, really frustrated with my huge state university. I had contacted continuing education early in the summer to make sure that everything was on the right track and I wouldn't have any problems with the registration process. I was assured that everything was in order.

About a week ago, I logged onto the campus student website (what people use to look at unofficial transcripts, pay bills, register, etc). I got some kind of weird message that I needed to reapply. So I called continuing education and asked what the deal was. Continuing education said, "we don't know, call the graduate school." I call the graduate school. "You need to reapply," I am told. I was annoyed to say the least. It's not like the application process is that bad, but this was the third time that I would be applying to the same school where I had repeatedly been accepted in the past year. Now I need to apply again? Apparently so.

I end up calling admissions again to ask them if I'm eligible for an application fee waiver. I talk to a student who puts me on hold, and then finally puts me through to an admissions counselor who never answers the phone and doesn't have voicemail. I call back, listen to their five minute automated message, and talk to another student. They put me through to the assoc. director's voicemail who is on vacation. The associate director calls me a few days later when he returns from his vacation, and says that I have to contact a different office. I call the other office and am told by a woman on their staff that I will have to reapply. She promptly hangs up. I call her back "what about the fee waiver?" I ask. She replies that that is not available and that I will have to reapply. I start explaining my situation to her and then she puts me on hold. She says that if I contact the department that I'm taking classes in (for ex. the chem. dept.) then they may be able to grant me a deferral and then I won't have to reapply. Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

I contact the chemistry department and repeat my story, once again. The woman who I talk to says that she's never heard of anything like that. She says that she will have to call some people and get back to me. She leaves me a voicemail today, saying that I need to contact someone in the office that referred me to her. I talk to this guy, and he says that I'll have to reapply, and that there are no fee waivers except for poor minority students who are in their poor minority student program (which is only for matriculated students).

I get online, repeat the application this afternoon, and then realize that unlike their other application, there is no way to pay the application fee online. So now I have to drive an hour and a half to the school on Monday to drop off another check, and more transcripts (which I've already given to them, twice).

To make matters worse, registration begins for students with my lowly status on Monday. So, I'm pretty much screwed. I feel like this is some kind of secret test of patience and endurance. If that's the case, bring it on.

4 comments:

  1. I had the same problem at CUNY in NYC. I ended up going to a private school after losing a year. But this wasn't before I applied twice, was promised admission twice, only to find that they lost my application TWICE (!?), and they tried to fix it by granting me a "rare" admittance into their community college in Manhattan. Um, no thanks. But now that all is said and done I'm so much happier at my new school.

    BTW, I'm K and I just recently started following you.:)
    I also sing, and am a pre-med. My husband is in med school. I'll invite you to my blog if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's terrible. Hang in there. It's all worth it in the end! :) (but I'm sure you know that already)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pain in the ass. Have they gotten things straightened out yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. K with the roses: It was oddly comforting to know that there was another pre-med out there who'd had a similar experience with all this state school madness. Sometimes it's just nice to commiserate. Anyway, I'd love to read your blog. Invite me in!

    ReplyDelete