Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

the winter that keeps on giving


This was the view from our porch when I woke up this morning.

The paper lanterns are from last summer; I never seemed to have the chance to take them down in the fall and they ended up staying up all winter en lieu of Christmas lights or something. I can't believe that delicate paper survived. The lanterns must have been sheltered by just enough of an overhang from the roof.

I had been looking forward to spring: to streams overflowing after the thaw and a yard overrun by puddles, to the first smattering of green and our quirky daffodils. For whatever reason, though, it's still soothing to be shrouded in one of this winter's last attempts, and to watch the snow fall calmly in fat, slow clumps.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful! (But hoping for some warmer weather soon - on with spring!)
    Cheers,
    Headstrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wherever you live, its purty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where I live people don't take down their Christmas lights and wreaths until late summer. I like your way better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look gorgeous against the snowy backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebirth on the horizon perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful view to wake up to. I think the lanterns look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me want to take a nap....

    ReplyDelete