Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

girl abandoned by shrink

And by girl, I mean me.  And by shrink, well, you probably can figure that part out.  Okay.  So maybe the post title is a little bit of an exaggeration, but on a more serious note, remember how I mentioned my psychologist was off visiting a far-away paradise?  Well, I saw him today, and it turns out he's moving there.  Soon.

Girl abandoned by shrink.  Figures.

I'm fretting.

It seemed somewhat miraculous that I was finally actually able to find a therapist who was not a floppy fish, who did not just nod phlegmatically as I ran my mouth (or sat silent, squirming and fidgeting on their couch).

I know it's not so bad, but really, I'm feeling a little panicked.  I feel like I'm going to have to resort to my last technique which is biased and I'm not sure if it actually works well, which involves consulting the local mental health agency's guide to therapists.  Basically I go down the list, I cross off all the people who do not have Ph.D.s, and then I cross off all the people who don't accept my insurance.  Then I pick up the phone and start going down the list.

I don't know if I've written about this before, or if I've been re-inspired by RS, but I'm a strong advocate for some kind of therapist speed dating program.  And by speed "dating" I don't really mean dating; I don't want to date my therapist.  But, to be able to talk to someone for three minutes and move on to the next, well, it might actually be enough of an interview to figure out if there's potential for a relationship that works.

Unfortunately, though, I doubt anyone will ever do speed-find-a-therapist, or whatever we should call it.  It seems like everyone has a waiting list a mile high and two months long.

What to do?  What to do...  girl abandoned by shrink.

4 comments:

  1. Aw! You'll find someone new. It's kind of annoying to have to clue the next person into who you are and all that, but it'll be ok. Have you thought of asking your current shrink for a referral?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with OMDG - see if your therapist can recommend anyone? So sorry you have to deal with this, that sucks. But a referral might help narrow down the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He actually offered to help with the process, but dude, he had no sense of urgency. I think he has no idea how many people are seeking out therapy in our little liberal-collegetown city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol to the therapist speed dating, but I completely understand!!! The therapist who talked me through the worst of my college depression was my FOURTH, I'm pretty sure. Finding a good therapist is like finding a good gyn. You don't want to mess around.

    I'm with OMDG too, as far as asking for the referral, since your current therapist will probably recommend people with a similar personality to his. And, there's nothing wrong with putting a little fire under him to work faster like, "Hey, I'd like to be really proactive about this and start to look sooner rather than later." If all else fails, your method sounds just find to me. Screen them out and see who you can find! (Also include the Psy.D.s, though. My old therapist has a Psy.D. and she was outstanding. :D)

    ReplyDelete