Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

When life
gets worrisome

I bake

the more anxious I become
the more the cakes
and the muffins
and the bread
and the cookies
and the bagels
seem to grow
grow
grow

they
reproduce

they march
across the countertops
set up haphazard camps

so, when one day
my two-year-old
picked up a food magazine

and shouted:

"CAKE TOWER!"

in delight
as his plump finger
pointed to a tall wedding cake

I couldn't help but wonder--
is this carb compulsion hereditary?

Since then he has proudly declared
his third birthday cake desires:

a

super

chocolate

CAKE TOWER



(with dinosaurs on top)

6 comments:

  1. Love the recent poetry!

    Made me think of this...

    http://www.ted.com/talks/sarah_kay_if_i_should_have_a_daughter.html

    When you have a mo you might enjoy watching...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poems! The birthday cake request is adorable too. Post pictures for us afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ABB - I love TED.com, and actually, I listened to that Sarah Kay video about a week ago. Maybe it launched my bad poetry spree! Still, I thought it was a great talk, she has such a passion for making writing accessible.

    RS - His birthday isn't until the fall..but when the time comes, you got it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad! Good!

    Yeah, her talk gave me chills and tears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're turning into a regular Maya Angelou!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ABB - Did you see the one with the runner who talked about her own experiences with prosthetics (Aimee Mullins)? I really loved her interview from 1998 (http://www.ted.com/talks/aimee_mullins_on_running.html).

    ReplyDelete