Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

healed by a xanthoma

I was really being a stinker yesterday until I went to the Emergency Department EMR upgrade meeting.  We were running through a whole bunch of the nursing assessments, and at some point we got to a visual assessment.

The director and her staff were scanning the form, and someone asks "what the heck is a xanthelasma?" 

No one seemed to know what it was.

I don't know why I remembered, but a couple years ago I had read about xanthelasmas when I was reading some cardiac stuff.  So I told them it was a yellowish lipid deposit under the skin around the eye.

I don't know why, but this made me feel much better.  Much more alive, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Nice memory! Better than mine, that's for sure. (My reaction: "yeah, what the heck *is* a xanthelasma? ....Oh, right. We've officially learned that already. Crap.")

    ReplyDelete