Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

relative calm

Things are getting a little better.  I don't know if it's the job, or the lectures, or the new TCA, or going running, or all of the above, but I'm starting feel more like myself.

There continues to be plenty of ridiculous family shit, financial shit, legal shit, and literal shit, but for some reason it's starting to be less depressing and instead kind of funny.  My husband and I set a "start medical school date" of age 30 for me (this is five years away), and although it seems slow, I think it's reasonable (and definitely doable).  I'm in the process of setting up a class for the fall.  It will be a relief to do something other than wait around and be miserable.

I'm starting to get more comfortable at my job.  I'm working with a team to update our EMR software, which is really old (it looks like DOS).  It is a huge project with (apparently, according to a recent article) a budget of 13+ million dollars.  I can't figure out if this is completely insane (it's the 250-bed hospital with a good number of outpatient services), but it seems like a ton of money.  Pretty much every form and assessment imaginable is being reevaluated and built electronically.  It's been interesting to read this stuff.  I recently came across a physician's order to "Plant Purified Pork Derivative (PPD)."

Seriously?  Is that what PPD stands for?  Anyway, in case you were wondering, I looked it up.  These days, everybody uses a synthetic purified protein derivative (so vegans and folks with religious obligations, have no fear), but apparently the original PPD was pork-derived.  Crazy.  

2 comments:

  1. The MMR vaccine is aborted fetus derived -- way way back they used a cell line from an aborted fetus. I can't remember if this caused the pope to come out against the vaccine or not, but I'm sure you can imagine that it does come up.

    Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is probably an all of the above! =) Happy to hear that things are looking up and that you've set your sights on starting at 30. That is when I started!

    30 is the new 20, anyway.

    ReplyDelete