Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Red Lentil Soup and Wheat-Chive Biscuits

Per Red Stethoscope's encouragement, I am going to start posting some simple recipes on my blog.

The following is a lentil soup recipe that is easy, doesn't require a whole lot of active time, but needs to sit on the stove for around two hours.  I ended up throwing everything in the pot, going for a run, coming home, preheating the oven, and then making some biscuits.

Here are the recipes!


Red Lentil Soup
Makes about 7 cups

Ingredients
1 cup dried red lentils (or other variety if you wish), picked over for rocks/debris, rinsed, and drained
1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
4 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock (start with 4 cups)



Directions:
Place EVERYTHING in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about two hours.  If the soup thickens too much, add 1 to 2 cups more liquid.

*Note: I have used a combination of water and better than bouillon (a concentrated stock paste that you can keep in the fridge for a long time) in the past when I have been out of stock, which has worked fine, but in this case you probably would want to go lighter on the added salt.

Nutrition Info (for one cup):
Cal: 135; carbs: 27g; fat: 0 g; protein: 9 g.


Wheat Chive Biscuits
Makes about 9 biscuits

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
Smattering of chopped chives or other fresh herbs (probably 1-2 tablespoons)
1/4 cup butter
1 cup milk (I used 2%)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.  Meanwhile, stick your butter in the freezer.  Mix all dry ingredients plus your herb together (flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, chives).  Grate your butter directly into the flour mixture and use your fingers to gently incorporate the threads of butter.  Mix in enough milk until just moistened.

Roll dough out onto a floured surface until about 3/4 inch thick.  Cut into circles with a small glass or biscuit cutter.  Bake 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Nutrition Info (for one biscuit):
Cal: 154; carbs: 26g; fat: 6g; protein: 3g.

4 comments:

  1. Nice! Those biscuits look flaky and amazing! I will have to try them out and report back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...I love red lentil soup. I had a recipe for it about 15 years ago that I loved and then lost...I still pine for it and look for a similar one. Sadly, yours isn't it, but it looks tasty enough to be worth a try. The biscuits also look very tasty. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is Turkish and they blend their lentil soup after all the boiling. Also if you use a pressure cooker, it's faster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. RS, I have a biscuit recipe that is my all time favorite that I will have to post sometime. They have a lot more butter, plus cream instead of milk, though!

    SD, I'm sorry about your long lost recipe! This one is simple, but I like because it is such cheap, easy fuel :)

    K, I've never used a pressure cooker before. Do you use the stovetop kind or the kind that looks like a crockpot? I've been wanting to use more dried beans instead of canned, but the whole soak overnight and then cook for hour(s) thing often requires more foresight than I usually have...

    ReplyDelete